A little something to kick off the new year. My favorites from the past year.
Babi Yar Adam Carpet Adam Carpet 5:47
Spiegel im Spiegel Maya Beiser Time Loops 9:29
The Things Left Unsaid Caleb Burhans Evensong 8:25
Shark Fin Blues The Drones Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By 5:43
Satellites EMA 4:22
Painting On A Corpse Ensemble Pearl Ensemble Pearl 6:53
Spoock Eomac Spoock 6:57
Passing Fins Fins 3:49
Stalker Fuck Buttons Slow Focus 10:10
Vital Grouper The Man Who Died in His Boat 4:14
Bloodhail Have A Nice Life Deathconsciousness 5:40
Excavation (Part 1) The Haxan Cloak Excavation 8:09
Caldera: Taupo The Holocene Scars 4:38
See Forever Indian Jewelry Peel It 4:59
Evil Nigger Jace Clayton The Julius Eastman Memory Depot 22:08
Cholla The Joy Formidable Wolf’s Law 3:24
A Tooth For An Eye The Knife Shaking The Habitual 6:04
Weird Roomrunner Ideal Cities 2:31
Toe Cutter – Thumb Buster Thee Oh Sees Floating Coffin 3:32
Creeper True Widow Circumambulation 5:51
20 songs, 2+ hours of music.
The Triumphant Return of the New Music Section:
||Basel Sinfonietta – Decasia (M. Gordon) – Filmmaker Bill Morrison took old, decayed, nearly destroyed film, and pieced it together to make a film – Decasia. This Michael Gordon composition is the soundtrack to that film. Like Gordon’s cello piece ‘Industry‘ this piece seems dedicated to the destruction of the group performing it. Heavy glissando and purposefully out of tune instruments combine to create an eerie, disturbing feel that, at times, resolves into the sound of a discordant locomotive bearing down on the listener. It’s not nice music, but it’s certainly powerful.
- Bloody Cape – Deftones – (self-titled)
- Homework – Dust Brothers – Fight Club Soundtrack
- Undecided – Silverchair – Frogstomp
- Aqua Dementia – Mastodon – Leviathan
- Magic Doors – Portishead – Third
- Communication Breakdown – Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin I
- Out at Sea – Heartless Bastards – The Mountain
- Didn’t Leave Nobody but the Baby – Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, and Gillian Welch – O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack
- So Far From Your Weapon – Dead Weather – Horehound
- No One’s There – Korn – Untouchables
A quote form Sir Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert & Sullivan) upon introduction to Thomas Edison’s recording machine:
. . . For myself, I can only say that I am astonished and somewhat terrified at the results of this evening’s experiment — astonished at the wonderful power you have developed, and terrified at the thought that so much hideous and bad music may be put on record forever.
Was he referring to this week’s edition of the random 10? Read on…
- The Perfect Drug – Nine Inch Nails – Lost Highway Soundtrack
- One Love – Prodigy – Music for the Jilted Generation
- Insatiable (Two) – … Trail of Dead – The Century of Self
- Growing Into You – Soul Asylum – Grave Dancers Union
- Happiness in Slavery – Nine Inch Nails – Broken
- Paper Tiger – Spoon – Kill the Moonlight
- Bullet in the Head – Rage Against the Machine – (self-titled)
- Hard Row – Black Keys – Thickfreakness
- Celebration Day – Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin III
- Endlessly Making an End of Things – Yellow Swans – At All Ends
That song could only fit in as the last song on a list.
- 3 Libras – A Perfect Circle – Mer de Noms
- Time and Time Again – Counting Crows – August and Everything After
- Safely Forgotten – Onesidezero – (self-titled)
- Dumb – Nirvana – Live at Reading
- Coral del Arrecife – Atlanta Symphony Orchestra – Oceana (O. Golijov)
- Soldier’s Daughter – Tonic – Lemon Parade
- Don’t Fake This – Chevelle – Wonder What’s Next
- The Nurse Who Loved Me – A Perfect Circle – Thirteenth Step
- Beskhu3epnm – Aphex Twin – Drukqs
- It Overtakes Me / The Stars Are So Big … I Am So Small … Do I Stand a Chance? – The Flaming Lips – At War with the Mystics
Random 10 Fiction
The drugs are wearing off again. Groggily I lift my head and see the letter resting at the foot of the bed. The seal depicting 3 libras on the envelope leaves me speechless. Time and time again, I had wondered whether she would find me or if I was safely forgotten. This letter just showed how dumb that wish was. Inside the envelope is a photograph of the Coral del Arrecife in the Carribean. That’s where I will find her. She is a true soldier’s daughter, she can’t leave me behind, no matter how much she wants to.
Now I have to get out of this hospital. I’d prefer to wait until I get better, but if I don’t fake this recovery tonight, I may never leave. By a stroke of luck, the one that answers the call button is the nurse who loved me. Any hope I have of convincing her to let me just walk out is quickly dashed.
“How are you feeling tonight? Let’s see if you’re improving. Can you recite the alphabet?” she asks.
“B..e..s..k..h..u..3..e..p..n..m..yellow..g..sigma..” I give up sheepishly, I know that’s not right.
“That’s better. You’re getting there.” She tries to soothe me, but the impossibility of me finding my girl hits me then. My disappointment is crushing. As I look out the window, almost it overtakes me.
The stars are so big.
I am so small.
Do I stand a chance?
It’s been a little over a year since I started posting random 10’s on Fridays. In 53 weeks since the first post, I posted 50 lists. The question isn’t which band has shown up the most, the question is how many more Nine Inch Nails songs have there been than any others.
First this weeks Random 10
- One More Time – Korn – Untouchables
- Stay – Onesidezero – (self-titled)
- For All the Sin – Nothingface – Violence
- A Story at Three – AFI – The Art of Drowning
- N.I.B. – Black Sabbath – (self-titled)
- Electric Red – Meshuggah – ObZen
- One Inch Man – Kyuss – And the Circus Leaves Town
- Rushmore – Erik Friedlander – Block Ice and Propane
- Tangerine – Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin III
- Just a Taste – Fiona Apple – Tidal
Clearly the only way to finish off a list that started with that loud of a half hour was Fiona Apple.
- The Hives Introduce the Metric System in Time – The Hives – Veni Vidi Vicious
- Getaway Car – Audioslave – (self-titled)
- Young Lust – Pink Floyd – The Wall
- It Only Took a Day – Dredg – El Cielo
- Intelligent Guy – Butthole Surfers – Weird Revolution
- Source Tags and Codes – … And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead – Source Tags and Codes
- Tonight – Supergrass – In It For the Money
- Bend the Bracket – Chevelle – This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In
- Section XI – Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble – Music For 18 Musicians (Steve Reich)
- Valley of the Low Sun – Jakob Dylan – Seeing Things
A lot of bands that I really don’t ever listen to. I guess that’s why it’s called the random 10. Although this did remind me that I like that Hives album (all 20 minutes of it).
- Houses of the Holy – Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffitti
- Take the Power Back – Rage Against the Machine – (self-titled)
- Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition – Serj Tankian – Elect the Dead
- My Violent Heart – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero
- I Will Dare – The Replacements – Let it Be
- Vordhosbn – Aphex Twin – Drukqs
- I Wish You Were Here – Incubus – Morning View
- You’re a Big Girl – Bob Dylan – Blood on the Tracks
- Fall Children – AFI – All Hallows EP
- In C with Canons and Bass – Grand Valley St. Univ. New Music Ensemble – In C Remixed (Terry Riley/Nico Muhly)
See the post below for all the 2009 new music I could bring myself to write about.
Random 10 Stories
Check out the newly established archives
One last year in review post. This time – music. I acquired quite a bit of music this year. So I’ve split things up into categories with approximately 10 albums per category. First up we’ve got albums released this year.
Oh man, sorry this is late – had such a party last night I woke up not even knowing what year it is.
||Nirvana – Live at Reading – I love Nirvana. Probably one of my top two bands of all time. I haven’t got a chance yet to watch the DVD of the concert that came with the CD, but I haven’t stopped listening to this one since I got it for Christmas.
- The Other Improv – Nirvana – With the Lights Out
- Thomas – A Perfect Circle – Mer de Noms
- One Hit – The Knife – Silent Shout
- Mexico – Butthole Surfers – Weird Revolution
- Lullaby – The Cure – Disintegration
- Come As You Are – Nirvana – Live at Reading
- Needles and Pins – Deftones – (self-titled)
- L. A. – Butthole Surfers – Electric Larryland
- Get to the Gone – Static-X – Machine
- Drain You [Demo] – Nirvana – With the Lights Out
Seems like three of a kind of Nirvana is appropriate for this week.
- Matt Haimovitz – Sonata for Violoncello Solo Part One (Ligeti) – Goulash!
- Nine Inch Nails – Letting You – The Slip
- Nirvana – In Bloom – Nevermind
- Nirvana – Scentless Apprentice – With the Lights Out
- Dredg – The Ornament – Live at the Fillmore
- Tool – Hooker with a Penis – Aenima
- Wendy Sutter – Tissue No. 7 (Glass) – Songs and Poems for Solo ‘Cello
- Pink Floyd – In the Flesh – The Wall
- Stabbing Westward – Save Yourself – Darkest Days
- Jimi Hendrix Experience – Highway Chile – Are You Experienced?
Outside the insects danced, their movements prescribed by some sonata only they could hear. I couldn’t shake the feeling that letting you outside into the fully in bloom summer idyll was a mistake. On the other hand, opening a window would allow the flowers to make their presence felt in a house that was currently scentless. Apprentice Marvin had worked all night to get the room to this antiseptic state, but it didn’t agree with me. I opened the windows with a flourish. You made your break immediately, knocking over the ornament on the sill. The cunicularial fertility idol (impishly dubbed ‘the hooker with a penis‘ by my more juvenile co-workers) lay in pieces on the floor. Distracted by trying to get every last piece, I was filling up tissue no. 7 with shards when you surprised me by reappearing in the window. Of course, as a dutiful feline, you had brought me a present. The rabbit lay there dead with your teeth marks in the flesh of its neck. In five minutes of hunting you had absolutely screwed the entire experiment. I only hoped the other rabbits hadn’t noticed one of their number missing. I felt those hopes die even before they finished crossing my mind, just outside the window a forest of tiny pitchforks was moving through the yard toward us. Sensing the danger, you leapt from the window and tried to outrun the fuzzy mob. They gave you a good chase, but you were able to save yourself by climbing a tree. You worked your way over to the roof, and, with a little coaxing, down through the sunroof of the van, while our furrious antagonists attemted to pick the lock of the driver’s side door. After tampering with a million-dollar study by tousling these hares, it was time for the two of us to hit the highway. Chile is supposed to be wonderful this time of year (not to mention free of revenge-crazed hyperintelligent rabbits).
- Like a Hurricane – Neil Young – Greatest Hits
- Weathered Tome – A.F.I. – Black Sails in the Sunset
- Big Church – Sunn O))) – Monoliths and Dimensions
- The Happiest Days of Our Lives – Pink Floyd – The Wall
- Things Aren’t Like They Used To Be – Black Keys – Attack and Release
- Margaret in Captivity – The Decemberists – The Hazards of Love
- Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) – Neil Young – Rust Never Sleeps
- Thirty-three – Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
- Valley of Debris – Heartless Bastards – All This Time
- You Know You’re Right – Nirvana – With the Lights Out
“Rain just keeps on falling on me, and it ain’t no light shower either. No sir, this downpour is like a hurricane and it doesn’t matter whether I’m indoors or out. So you might want to move your fancy book there.” He gestured at the weathered tome under the arm of the girl next to him at the bar. Margaret looked at him, perplexed, until a sudden intensification of the downpour onto the man’s already rain-soaked cowboy hat deflected a wave of water at her and sent her scurrying for a safer barstool. She sat there carefully wiping the drops from the big church on the cover. “The happiest days of our lives are gone” the besodden man continued despite losing his audience, “things aren’t like they used to be, when I could have brought sunshine even to this dreary place.” The bartender smirked at this, and neither man noticed the reader of the thick volume at the end of the bar was no longer a small blonde girl, if they had looked in that direction they would have seen Margaret in captivity within a dark mass that seemed to be gathering all the light from the already dingy room into itself. The bartender felt the pull too late, and couldn’t find anything to hold on to as he slid down the bar into the void. Arms flailing, he yelled for help, “Hey!” “Hey!” “My My” (into the black went the bartender) “we meet again.” the man, now alone, turned to face the slowly expanding darkness “Thirty-three years later, have you come to remove this curse you placed on me?” No answer came from the cloud as it enveloped him.
Many years later, in the middle of the desert, in a spot that no one knew there used to be a bar, a man stood considering a cowboy hat that lay at his feet. He waved his companion over and they both ignored the many potential treasures hidden in this valley of debris, and considered the hat. One of them spoke, “You know, you’re right. There’s is no way that should be possible, but that hat is soaking wet.”
I’m forbidden from obtaining new music until after Christmas. I think I’m going into withdrawal (on the plus side, now I know how to spell that word).
- Deftones – Passenger – White Pony
- Stone Temple Pilots – Sex and Violence – No. 4
- The Offspring – Nitro (Youth Energy) – Smash
- Black Sabbath – War Pigs – Paranoid
- Tool – Disposition – Lateralus
- Tool – Rosetta Stoned – 10,000 Days
- Atomship – Withered – The Crash of ’47
- Static X – Otsegolation – Wisconsin Death Trip
- Jimi Hendrix Experience – Castles Made of Sand – Axis: Bold as Love
- System of a Down – Hypnotize – Hypnotize
- Les Claypool – Mushroom Men – Of Fungi and Foe
- Guns N’ Roses – Paradise City – Appetite For Destruction
- Yo-Yo Ma – Gigue – Suite No. 1 in G Major – The Cello Suites: Inspired By Bach
- Audioslave – Light My Way – (self-titled)
- The Offspring – Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) – Americana
- Foo Fighters – Enough Space – The Colour and the Shape
- The Flaming Lips – Haven’t Got a Clue – At War with the Mystics
- The Verve Pipe – Freshmen – Villains
- The Rolling Stones – Shine a Light – Exile on Main Street
- The Mars Volta – Cygnus….Vismund Cygnus – Frances the Mute
Back at my childhood home, so all the posts are on autopilot this weekend. Drop your list if you like, and get back to your turkey day recovery.
I’ve been listening to a lot of cello music lately, and I was considering throwing my hat in the ring for a week of guest DJing at the WGOM featuring some cello music, but then I realized I have my own website, and I could just have my own cello week. So rather than competing with the WGOM music video of the day, think of this as a complement.
Portland Cello Project plays a lot of concerts with local musicians. This one is a cover of a classic, with the original thrown in. Thus concludes Cello Week. Enjoy.
Video after the jump.
If you haven’t been following along, here’s your chance to check out the craziness that has been Cello Week. We’ve had six videos so far this week and there’s one more coming tomorrow, so take a minute (or a few minutes) and watch some pretty cool performances.
Saturday – Portland Cello Project – If Moon Was Cookie
Friday – Osvaldo Golijov – Mariel (2003)
Thursday – Györgi Ligeti – Sonata for Solo Cello (1953)
Wednesday – Michael Gordon – Industry (1992)
Tuesday – Erik Friedlander – Night White (2007)
Monday – Zoë Keating – Escape Artist (2009)
Sunday – Steve Reich – Cello Counterpoint (2003)
Random 10 –
- Tony’s Theme – Pixies – Surfer Rosa
- Mourning this Morning – Dredg – The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion
- Stack Shot Billy – Black Keys – Rubber Factory
- I Cry Alone – Black Keys – Thickfreakness
- Call – Atlanta Symphony Orchestra – Oceana (Golijov)
- Would? – Alice in Chains – MTV Unplugged
- Circa Mea Pectora – Carl Orff – Carmina Burana
- Needles – System of a Down – Toxicity
- Hey Joni – Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
- In My Eyes – Rage Against the Machine – Renegades
Tony, Billy, Joni, the gang’s all here!
Or… are they?
Jane says, “What’s the frequency, Kenneth? I can’t get these radios to work. Lookout Joe! Hey Joe! Anybody else coming?”
He doesn’t answer, instead Anna begins running through the guest list. “Floyd the Barber, Judith, Maria, Polly…. Oh, George will come. Gary’s got a boner just thinking about Molly’s lips, so he’ll definitely stay if she shows. That leaves only sweet Virgina, Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts.” Just then Lily (my one and only) appears, and running as fast as the wind, cries “Mary! Psycho boy Jack is at Maggie’s farm, and he’s got Margaret in captivity!”
“Hey, Johnny Park! You’ve got to get there fast, Jerry was a race car driver, so let him drive and you two boogie with Stu. Once my Michelle finds wings for Marie, we’ll be right behind you and Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle.”
That’s 25 more nomenclaturally-themed song titles for those who are counting.